Maintain fabrics easily with these simple steps by FabricDekho - Part 2
As we pile up our closet with more and more fabrics it becomes our responsibility to take good care of them so that they shine for long. It might seem intimidating at first, but soon it will become second nature with our simple tips on fabric care and maintenance. The more expensive the fabric, the more investment it requires. On a broader level, we should try to follow the instructions on the label and strictly adhere to them. Adding to that, refer the below fabric-wise detail guidelines to care and clean the most common fabrics found in your wardrobe.
1- GEORGETTE FABRIC:
Georgette Fabric is a light-weight fabric yet quite sturdy and strong. It has the look of delicate silk and colour fading can be an issue if not cleaned properly.
- Hand washing the fabric with cold water is best.
- Wash the fabric with a mild detergent.
- Squeeze the fabric with a towel to remove excess water. Do not dry the fabric in a dryer.
- Do not over stretch as the fabric may lose its shape.
- The fabric should be air-dried in shade rather than drying in the sun.
2- SATIN FABRIC:
Satin Fabric is a soft and lustrous fabric which makes them appealing both as garments and bed sheets. It is a strong and durable fabric and wrinkle-resistant as well. A little care will go a long way.
- Satin can be both machine washed and hand washed. However machine wash is recommended for poly satin and for rest of the variants hand wash is preferred.
- Wash in cold water with a gentle detergent.
- Do not twist or squeeze the fabric as it will lose its shape.
- For the fabric to retain its shine, avoid exposure to direct sunlight.
- Iron the fabric inside-out with medium heat not lingering the iron at one spot for long.
3- RAYON FABRIC:
Soft, lustrous and absorbent, semi-synthetic Rayon Fabric is made from wood pulp. It is the first man-made fabric which is quite versatile thus making it a popular choice in clothing and in the finishing of home accessories.
- Viscose Rayon is not washable at home (unless labelled otherwise).
- For washable Rayon, Hand-washing is recommended in cold water and using a mild detergent.
- Do not machine dry after washing, instead gently squeeze off excess water using a thick towel.
- Air-dry the fabric instead of drying in sunlight.
- Iron the fabric inside-out on medium heat.
4- CHIFFON FABRIC:
Chiffon Fabric is an elegant, luxurious, decorative light-weight fabric. Due to its shimmery surface and strong texture it is designer favourite and used in making variety of garments like sarees, Lingerie, blouses, evening gowns, etc.
- Silk chiffon should be dry-cleaned whereas Polyester chiffon and nylon chiffon can be hand washed or machine washed in a gentle run.
- Wash the fabric in cold water using a mild detergent.
- As the fabric has bleeding tendency, do not leave the fabric in water for long.
- Avoid squeezing or twisting the fabric as it may lose its shape.
- Do not dry in direct sunlight as the fabric may fade.
5- CHANDERI FABRIC:
This traditional ethnic fabric is primarily used in weaving sarees and salwar kameez. Chanderi has a sheer texture with a luxurious feel and is very light weight.
- Advised to dry-clean the fabric to protect the fine zari work.
- Dry the fabric in shade and always on the reverse side.
- Poly Chanderi can be machine washed with cold water using a mild detergent.
- Iron the fabric inside-out on medium heat.
6- EMBROIDERED FABRICS:
We all face issues with embroidered fabrics and how to care for them. Don’t worry, they are quite easy to look after.
- Wash embroidered garments, accessories, home furnishings in cold water using a mild detergent.
- Do not use chlorine bleach or brightening agents. If bleaching is required use Non-chlorine bleach only.
- Do not leave soaked in water for long.
- If using machine-dry, use normal settings.
- Iron the fabric on the reverse side.
7- KOTA DORIA FABRIC:
This light-weight and translucent fabric should be properly cared for as it is ideal for hot and humid summers of India.
- Follow the care instructions on the garment label. If recommends drycleaning then the same should be done.
- Generally, poly Kota Doria is allowed machine or hand wash.
- Avoid washing the fabric in hot water.
- Handle the foil Kota Doria with extra care as the motifs can come off easily.
So, the more you care for your favourite fabrics, the more beautiful your outfit will look the next time you decide to wear it and the brighter your home will shine with these fabric accessories. Follow the tips above and the fabrics will retain their charm for longest times to come. Shop FabricDekho’s collections of exquisite fabrics, sarees, dupattas, unstiched suits at www.fabricdekho.com and be quality assured.