Maintain Fabrics Easily With these simple steps by FabricDekho - Part 1
Remember your favourite dress which excites you every time you decide to wear it or your mother’s silk saree which you have seen her inherit from her mother and the fabric retain the shine for generations. Every fabric has its unique charm and they should be properly pampered for them to remain healthy for long. We understand how demanding it can be to care for each fabric material separately and with our busy lives it seems almost impossible to do so thus most of our clothing, bed sheets and curtains end up getting tossed in our washing machines and some lucky ones get sent to dry-cleaners while the most fortunate ones receive a special hand-wash. Due to our lack of knowledge and time, we do not provide fabrics the life they deserve. But worry no more, our in-depth fabric-wise guide here will help you decode the secret to the long and healthy fabric-life.
Cotton Fabric is the king of fabrics and one of the most durable fabric with a long shelf life. But even durability demands care so they last long and provide comfort evermore.
- It is advisable to hand-wash cotton clothes in cold water as cotton has a tendency to bleed which enhances more in warm or hot water.
- Wash coloured cotton clothes inside-out.
- Do not over-dry cotton as it increases shrinkage.
- Do not dry cotton under direct sun for long and remove them from dryer while fairly cool.
- To get rid of wrinkles on cotton, iron the fabric in moist state.
- Wash white cotton clothes with chlorine bleach to remove stains. Coloured cotton clothes can be washed with oxygenated bleach.
- Washing cotton jeans with cold water will protect their deep colour.
Silk is one of the world’s oldest fabrics and has always maintained an illustrious stature in the fabric cluster. This classy and luxurious fabric demands special care so that it maintains its ever-lasting lustre.
- Allow “Garment-Labels” to guide you when cleaning silk garments. If the label reads “Dry-clean only”, you should follow suite.
- For washable silk fabrics, soak the fabric in lukewarm water with a mild detergent like mild baby shampoo. After few minutes, rinse the fabric with cold water.
- Never tumble Silk Fabric in dryer. Instead, wrap it in a towel and press to get rid of excess water.
- Iron silk fabric inside-out at a very low temperature
Linen is one of the most eco-friendly and sustainable fabric. It is easy to breathe and does not cling to our skin. It is bit expensive and thus requires extra care.
- Check label on Linen garments to determine if they should be dry-cleaned only.
- For washable linen, carefully follow the instructions using water according to the garment’s colour.
- Linen absorbs more water than other fibres so avoid overcrowding in the washer and dryer.
- Iron Linen inside-out at a hot temperature setting.
Woollens are the least washed fabric. Just brushing the fabric to remove the dirt and exposing them to fresh air is the best way to keep them glowing.
- Dry cleaning wool as per the label instruction is the best way to go.
- If washable, a gentle or mild detergent should be used and fabric should be either hand-washed or machine washed.
- Use lukewarm water to wash and rinse woollen fabric. Washing in cold water causes shrinkage.
- Always store woollens in air-tight or sealed bags.
- Always use steam-iron for perfect shine.